Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Writing in my Classroom


I joined a writing tips linky party from Carol's blog: Still Teaching After All These Years.  Check it out!



I use the Daily 5 reader's workshop model, which I LOVE LOVE LOVE!  Yes, there is a "working on writing" component to this model.  However, I don't use that as my only writing time.  I also have a separate writing workshop time that follows a Lucy Calkins model:  mini-lesson, write time, conferences, share time.  

If students choose to write during Daily 5, they can choose to write a story, letter, list, poem, etc.  I often put out unique or thematic writing paper as a choice as well periodically throughout the year.  
I do have some writing products on TpT.

The Beginning, Middle, and End Oreo story parts diagram for the SMART notebook is a nice visual for teaching basic story parts.  It's FREE!

This writing prompt is an example of something I'd put out for "working on writing" at Daily 5.

I recently read a book by Ralph Fletcher about the writing process.  While reading his book, I took notes and created these writing process posters.

I've also made this writing process chart for the SMART board.  You can put students' names on the pencils, and as they move through the stages of the writing process, they move their pencils.

Hope this gives you some new ideas, and I look forward to learning from others who link up!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for linking up! I also have a separate writer's workshop in addition to Daily Five. Love the oreo visual!
    Carol
    Still Teaching After All These Years

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated!